Borg Backup Server
Borg Backup Server is a self-hosted, graphical user interface (GUI) and server written in PHP for backing up many client machines to a single server. It's primary purpose is to make it easy to monitor all your backups, setup custom schedules, install borg client software and easily restore data.
Borg Backup is a Linux command-line utility to create backups of your computers.
It's de-duplication and speed can't be beat. However, when you are dealing with a large number
of machines to backup up, it quickly becomes obvious that you don't have a good way to manage all your
client machines from a single place. It's also time-consuming and tedious to setup large number of machines. So, we've created Borg Backup Server.
Borg Backup Server makes it easy to install and maintain Borg on each client machine from a single server GUI (Graphical User Interface). Some of the powerful features include:
- Intuitave Dashboard - Borg Backup Server features a responsive GUI using Bootstrap, jQuery and PHP 7 (it's even mobile-friendly). Interactive charts and tables show you all the information you need to make sure your backups are running correctly. Regardless if you are backing up 3 or 100 machines, the GUI will give you a quick summary of all your backups. The Dashboard constantly updates makes use of AJAX to update what is happening in real time without having to refresh the browser.
- Speed - We built Borg Backup Server to be fast. Some other backup solutions can bog down and even become un-responsive under certain circumstances. Borg Backup Server was designed so that it will handle large volumes of data and should always retain excellent speed. In our testing, we've backed up as many as 100 physical and virtual servers with a single Borg Backup Server with a 48TB RAID array.
- Easy Client Install - The client installer will connect to your client machine, install the correct Borg client software, and setup public and private keys with just a few clicks. It will even detect what OS you're running. On our client page, you can see at-a-glance if any machines are out-of-date and update them with a single click!
- Logging and Notifications - Detailed logging tells you what important information about what's happening at a glance. Borg Backup Server also uses Toast notifications to see when important tasks start and stop no matter where you are in the application.
- Security - Borg's Repo Passwords are stored encrypted on Borg Backup Server so a malicious or hacked client can't delete a borg repository. In addition, the decryption routines are encrypted with Zend Encoder. Each client machine's backups are stored in their own Linux user directory on Borg Server with limited permissions so no client machine can access another client machine's data. Even when a backup is running, the repo password is not exposed to the client. The server uses strong encryption and SSH Keys to ensure no passwords are stored. We are working on extra hardening as we go.
- Backup - Borg Backup Server supports multiple schedules per client and multiple repositories per client. Easily backup the data the way you want, at the schedule you like as often as you like. After the initial backup, the subsequent backups are fast. We have servers backing up every 15 minutes that contain mission-critical data.
- Restore - Powerful indexing and searching allow you to find data you need quickly. While browsing your backed up data, Borg Backup Server does not lock your borg's repository, so backups will continue without interruption. No more mounting nightmares.
- Queue System - Borg Backup Server has a queue that limits consecutive backups so it won't overload the server. It also will queue restores and backups so they don't interfere with each other due to borg's file locking. Borg Backup Server will wait until a conflicting process completes before doing it's next task.